What My Day Looks Like As A Work At Home Mom

work at home mom

I’m currently writing this from a coffee shop. I’m alone. This is just one of the five or six times in the past six and a half months that I have been alone. Since Reese refuses a bottle (and to be honest I haven’t even tried to give her one in about two months) she comes everywhere with me. Business meetings. Workouts. Grocery shopping. We are basically two peas in a pod.

This morning I had a meeting and my in-laws have both the kids. I expect they will text me soon letting me know that Reese has woken up and I’ll head over to their house, nurse my babe, and continue on with my day.

Today is an exception. Most days I don’t get this break.

I have connected with a lot of work at home moms in the past few months. It’s a unique situation to be in. I guess, technically, I’m a stay at home mom, but I’m also a working mom. I’m grateful for technology to be able to do this.

Most days I wake up around 6am with David. If I’m lucky, Reese is still asleep and I get to enjoy a cup of coffee in bed while chatting with my husband. Some days she wakes up and joins us.

By 7am, Finn is awake. David goes to the gym some mornings, so I’ll take Finn into school and then go for a long walk with Reese. We will listen to audiobooks or podcasts and I usually get super motivated and clear minded on these walks.

If David doesn’t go to the gym, he takes Finn to school and I get right to work. On Fridays, and every other Wednesday, Finn is home with me!

I try to start my day with a shower. I was skipping this simple step for a while, but I found that I was more productive when I got myself up and dressed. This usually happens during Reese’s first nap.

Then I get to work. I answer emails, write blog posts, work through other stuff until Reese wakes up. I feed her and we play for a while. When Reese is awake, I like to spend quality time with her. The work goes away and I’m present with her.

When she goes back down for a nap, I get to work again. Whatever needs to get done, gets done. She usually naps for about 1.5-2 hours, so it’s a good chunk of time, but I rarely feel like I’ve done enough.

After her second nap, she is usually up until bedtime, so there’s about a 3.5 hour span of keeping her happy and content. Sometimes she will swing or play quietly and I’ll be able to finish up a few things.

work at home mom

David and Finn get home around 5pm and this is when the crazy starts. We cram dinner and baths in all during the witching hour – when Reese and Finn are the most cranky! It’s hectic and it’s usually non-stop until 6:30pm when Reese goes to bed for the night.

Finn stays up until 7:30-8pm. We let him watch a little television and we spend one-on-one time with him. After he goes to sleep, my computer usually comes back out again for a few hours. Other days, David and I watch a show or chat and get our quality time in.

I dream feed Reese around 9:30pm, and then try to be in bed by 10pm. I don’t get much downtime anymore, but this schedule has been working for us. I love the flexibility of being able to do work when I feel most productive, which often times isn’t between the hours of 9 and 5. I also love that I have the flexibility to work out or to go grocery shopping or even take a nap if I need one!

I’m essentially doing two jobs at once these days, and my heart is so full because of that! I feel like I have the balance I craved when I working in an office.

Are you a work at home mom? How do you structure your days?

If you liked this, you may love these:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *